Spartan has announced the following changes to the rules effective 8/24/19.
To view the full rule book: Spartan Rules
● You are not required to complete 5 burpees at the Atlas Carry. You are only required to carry the Atlas Stone along the
required route and return to the starting point.
● You are allowed to carry the bucket above the head or on the shoulder during the Bucket Carry. Also if the lid comes off you
do not need to restart the obstacle unless the material has also been displaced.
● You are not allowed to use the vertical truss as a ladder in order to start hanging obstacles, EG Monkey Bars. You can
however, use the Horizontal Truss to start the obstacles.
● You must complete the Dunk Wall, as it is now a mandatory obstacle.
● You are considered to have completed the balance beam once you have touched the descending beam with at least one
● Spartan is not obligated to review 3rd party video footage for any reason.
● We have defined what standing on top of means at the Hercules Hoist. Competitors hips may not rise above the top of the
Also, we wanted to clarify a few questions we often see:
● Competitors are not allowed to pre-run the course or engage with obstacles unless prior approval has been granted by
Spartan. Events like Spartan’s Open house is considered approval for the areas mentioned for each specific event.
● During flip obstacles, you must fully disengage with the object. This means you cannot rest it on your foot, or keep your hands on the object.
● You are allowed the use the vertical support on the Z Wall. However, you cannot touch the top or bottom of the cutout to your advantage.