As we approach week eight of quarantine in many parts of the United States, and our sixth week as an Endurance Sports Coalition, we're motivated by the momentum we're seeing from our efforts.
Thanks to Rebecca from RideNapaValley and Carlo from the Mermaid Series who introduced us to Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA 5th), a passionate cyclist and sponsor of a charity cycling event in Northern California. We've had several meetings with the Congressman and his staff this week, and they've signed on to be a key champion of our cause and are supporting our efforts on the Hill. Many of you have made valuable introductions that continue to grow our cadre of elected supporters.
Updates & Actions from this week:
- America's Recovery Fund Coalition launched on Monday, with over 100 trade associations including the Endurance Sports Coalition signed on. Together, we're advocating for a long-term grant-based recovery fund to help businesses cover payroll and operating costs and make up for lost revenue until they're back on their feet. (We'll be on their website shortly)
- In addition to the Recovery Fund proposal which has legislation in development in both the House and the Senate, we're tracking another effort led by Sen. Bennet out of Colorado that would provide a new long-term, low-interest lending program to businesses and non-profits. If it starts to gain traction, we'll be advocating for terms that are well-suited to the unique impacts in our industry.
- ESPN provided in-depth coverage of the impact to the running industry, thanks to the efforts of Christine Bowen from RunningUSA for cultivating this story.
- Thanks to those who have contributed to our SiCoustics story telling project. We want to capture YOUR story too. Click here for more info. We're extending the deadline another week to capture more of the real impact stories from your personal experiences.
- ESC leadership member USA Triathlon launched their Safe Return to Multisport guide and initiative to provide critical guidance and a roadmap to race directors for restarting events.
- Over the next two weeks, we're targeting specific members of Congress who will be influential in drafting the components of the long term recovery program that will apply to our industry. We'll be reaching out to many of you directly to participate in direct outreach efforts to key elected officials in your home district.
Our grassroots efforts are more important now than ever as the discussions around long-term economic recovery programs heat up on Capitol Hill. We need you to email your athletes (click here for template) and be on the lookout for ESC Twitter and LinkedIn channels launching next week. Make sure to repost and share our updates on your own channels.
Endurance Sports Coalition