Tough Mudder continues to innovate its offerings in 2017. This year has seen the addition of Tough Mudder X, Toughest Mudder, Tough Mudder 5k, as well as the Tougher Mudder heat at normal Tough Mudder events. Recently, Tough Mudder added a new offering to the mix at World's Toughest Mudder this year introducing the National Team Relay.
The National Team Relay is in addition to the two-person team event. The National Team Relay will put athletes from the same country together to race for national pride. Tough Mudder released a brief overview of the 2017 World's Toughest Mudder National Team Relay rules below.
National Team Relay format:
- Competitors must all be registered participants of the same nationality
- Must fill out a National Team (4+) application by September 1st to run as National Team
- Must complete first lap and last lap as a full team, all other laps require at least 50% or more of the team on-course to have laps count towards overall mileage
- All relay laps completed between the first and last lap can be completed by any combination of team members. For example:
- Athlete 1 runs three laps in a row, each with a different teammate
- Athlete 1 & Athlete 2 run one lap together, Athlete 3 & Athlete 4 run one lap together, repeat
- Teams are allowed to disband and continue the event as individuals, however each athlete will only be credited with miles/laps that they have individually completed up to that point
- Individuals within teams will still be eligible for mileage perks based on their individual achievement within the event
- National Teams will be eligible to win cash prizing in the National Team Category
- All teammates must have achieved Contender status for team to receive contender perks
Through the application process, National Teams can additionally identify as either:
- Armed Services: Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, International service members welcome
- First Responders: Police, Fire, EMTs, EMS, International members/other forms welcome
If applicable, applicants will be asked while filling out the application form to provide the name of the Armed Forces or First Responders group that their team will be representing. TMHQ will reach out to these teams for proof of identity and affiliation.
In summary, up for grabs this year in the National Team Category are the following prizes:
- $10,000 for the winning team
- $4,000 for the runners-up
- $2,000 for the third-place team
- National Team Cup for winning National Relay Team
- First Responder Trophy for best performance by a Relay Team comprised of First Responders
- Armed Services Trophy for best performance by a Relay Team comprised of Armed Services members or veterans
To learn more about the new Team Relay format check out the original announcement on Tough Mudder's website.