Tips for staying motivated and on track during the next phase of COVID19
We are all anxious and very much anticipating the return to “normal” life post COVID19. The reality for a lot of us is that we may have to wait a few more weeks or months for things to start feeling normal. Even as things begin to ease up, there is a chance that we may be placed in a similar situation this fall and winter. As cold and flu season flare-up, there is a possibility that the COVID19 virus may come back into the community again. For many of us, our monthly training and workout schedules are determined by what race is on the horizon. For now, we have to adjust, we need to stay committed to our purpose and stay ready to race. We are OBSTACLE course racers, this is simply another obstacle we must face! Here are a few tips to help you get through the next 3-6 months.
- Print out a monthly workout calendar and create a training program based on your long-term goals. Were you hoping to run a Spartan Beast this fall? Start working on some incline work and gradually increase your endurance. Maybe you are planning to run your first marathon next winter. This is a perfect time to start working on your cadence, speedwork, and pace. Don’t forget to add in flexibility training, breathwork, and recovery days!
- Set up short term weekly goals for yourself. An example of this would be to decrease your 1 mile run time by 3-5 seconds each week, or to complete a 2-minute plank each day of the week, or to increase your max dead hang by 5 seconds each week. Get creative!
- Use this time to develop your weaknesses. Are you a strong runner, but struggle with grip strength? Order a grip strengthener and get to work! Maybe you struggle with balance or ankle stability. Now is a great time to work on single leg bounding movements, you can even lookup an ankle strengthening program We all have something we need to work on, so lets come out of this thing stronger than before!
- Most of us need to work on flexibility training or making time for self-care and recovery. Here is a great article that walks you through a full-body foam rolling program. Here is a great video that will greatly improve your overall mobility and flexibility, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYrIMdOBHkg
- Finally, take advantage of our amazing community and sign up for some Virtual Races You have the motivation and the discipline to workout and home; you can race at home as well! Add those races to your workout calendar, and stay committed to the process.
We know that this is a difficult time for everyone, but it is especially challenging for the essential workers. We are so grateful for everyone serving on the front lines of this pandemic. For those of you who are working more hours, and are struggling to find the time to work out right now, we are here for you. You will get back to a sense of normalcy soon, and you will be able to continue working toward your goals and finding the time to train. In the meantime, please know that you are so appreciated.
Good luck out there team! Stay healthy and stay active!