Rugged Maniac obstacle races, mud run, and OCR information, distance, cost, dates, calendar, discounts, obstacles, reviews, and more
|Overview||“An Epic Day of Rugged Glory”, Nationwide locations|
|Upcoming||See all upcoming events at the bottom of the page.|
|Terrain||“Rugged Gauntlet of Glory” – You’ll figure it out!|
Looking for adventure? How about a day filled with 25 epic obstacles, a crazy party, and plenty of beer? Rugged Maniac Obstacle Race has you covered! Here's how it works: Sign up for the race and you'll run our 3-mile course where you'll climb towers of shipping containers, rocket down a 50′ water slide, bounce on trampolines, jump over fire, and more!
Before and after your run, you'll get to party with thousands of other maniacs in our day-long festival where you can ride mechanical bulls, pretend to be a kid in our adult bounce houses, and dance your butt off in the festival and enjoy lots of new games and activities. As if that wasn't awesome enough, you also get a high-quality t-shirt, an awesome medal, free professional race photos, and a beer (if of legal drinking age) with your registration!
Unlike the other guys, we don't nickel and dime you with ‘insurance' and ‘processing' fees that add $30 or more to your registration cost. You'll pay the price listed on the event page plus any tax required by the man. That's it. So what are you waiting for? Reserve your preferred start
Upcoming Rugged Maniac EventsClick an event name to view the event details. Scroll past this, or click here to see the review section
- Race discount More info
- March 21, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSouth Carolina Rugged Maniac 2020
Boone Hall Plantation, Mt. Pleasant, SC, United States
- April 04, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePhoenix Arizona Rugged Maniac Spring 2020
Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, Chandler, AZ, United States
- April 11, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNorth Carolina Rugged Maniac Spring 2020
Rockingham Dragway, Rockingham, NC, United States
- April 18, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreFlorida Rugged Maniac 2020
Florida State Fairgrounds, Tampa, FL, United States
- April 25, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSan Francisco California Rugged Maniac 2020
Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton, CA, United States
- May 02, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVirginia Rugged Maniac 2020
Virginia Motorsports Park, Petersburg, VA, United States
- May 09, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreColumbus Ohio Rugged Maniac 2020
Delaware County Fairgrounds, Delaware, OH, United States
- May 16, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreLos Angeles California Rugged Maniac 2020
Castaic Lake State Recreation Area, Castaic, CA, United States
- May 23, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKentucky Rugged Maniac 2020
Kentucky Speedway, Sparta, KY, United States
- May 30, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKitchener Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Chicopee Ski Resort, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
- June 06, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePortland Oregon Rugged Maniac 2020
Portland International Raceway, Portland, OR, United States
- June 13, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreOklahoma City Rugged Maniac 2020
Remington Park, Oklahoma City, OK, United States
- June 20, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew York City Rugged Maniac 2020
Aviator Sports Complex, Brooklyn, NY, United States
- July 11, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVancouver Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Cloverdale Fairgrounds, Surrey, Canada
- July 18, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew Jersey Rugged Maniac 2020
Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, United States
- July 19, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew Jersey Rugged Maniac 2020
Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, United States
- July 25, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreCalgary Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Spruce Meadows, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- August 01, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePennsylvania Rugged Maniac 2020
Maple Grove Raceway, Mohnton, PA, United States
- August 08, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreDenver Colorado Rugged Maniac 2020
Thunder Valley Motocross, Lakewood, CO, United States
- August 15, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreAtlanta Georgia Rugged Maniac 2020
Georgia International Horse Park, Conyers, GA, United States
- August 22, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreChicago / Milwaukee Wisconsin Rugged Maniac 2020
Wilmot Mountain, Wilmot, WI, United States
- August 29, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSouthern Indiana Rugged Maniac 2020
Paoli Peaks, Paoli, IN, United States
- September 05, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreLong Island New York Rugged Maniac 2020
Long Island Sports Park, Calverton, NY, United States
- September 12, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreTwin Cities Minnesota Rugged Maniac 2020
Wild Mountain Ski Area, Taylor Falls, MN, United States
- September 19, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKansas City Missouri Rugged Maniac 2020
Snow Creek Ski Area, Weston, MO, United States
- September 26, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew England Massachusetts Rugged Maniac 2020
Moto-X 338, Southwick, MA, United States
- September 27, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew England Massachusetts Rugged Maniac 2020
Moto-X 338, Southwick, MA, United States
- October 10, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVirginia Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Virginia Motorsports Park, Petersburg, VA, United States
- October 17, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSacramento California Rugged Maniac 2020
Murieta Equestrian Center, Rancho Murieta, CA, United States
- October 24, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNorth Carolina Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Piedmont Dragway, Julian, NC, United States
- November 07, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePhoenix Arizona Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Camelback Ranch, Glendale, AZ, United States
- November 15, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreAustin Texas Rugged Maniac 2020
Travis County Expo Center, Austin, TX, United States
- November 21, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSoCal California Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Temecula Galway Downs, Temecula, CA, United States
Browse our calendar of previous mud runs, mud races & obstacle races for Rugged Maniac
Rugged Maniac News & Featured Reviews
Rugged Maniac Reviews from the Community
(Scroll up to see a list of upcoming events for Rugged Maniac)
Weston Mo 2016
The only bad part about this race was my physical shape. However, I cannot wait to improve and come back stronger and fitter. The hills were absolutely brutal and really challenge you physically and mentally. The obstacles were fun and surprisingly I made it up the warped wall. It was very well organized and you could usually hear the music wherever you were at on the course. Great experience definitely recommend.
I wanted to do this more for the obstacles than the running part (25 of them in 3 miles was great) and signed up on a whim. However, I was totally unprepared for the level of aerobic fitness this course demanded. The start is up a 1/2 mile slope of 45 degrees or more in some spots. Even walking is very difficult. The obstacles were set up for pretty much anyone to make it over with good effort. This race fits into the ski area perfectly, it's how they should all be run, though most places simply don't have those types of hills available. The only drawback for the race were occasional backups at obstacles which can't be helped with thousands of people running, even in waves. My personal drawback was unpreparedness. I made it through the course but would have had much more fun if I had more aerobic level. I spent far too much time gasping and walking at the edge of safe/dangerous. I hope it comes back to KC though it's not on the schedule yet. I would make this a yearly trip for certain.
The whole event was well set up and able to accommodate a large mass of people, great set up for tents and side attractions. There was a lot of fun obstacles but one in particular sent my girlfriend to the hospital with 3 broken bones above her ankle and a fracture below it. It was a jump off a trampoline to smack a gong and a fall into a muddy water pit. The problem is that when they expect you to jump high enough to hit the gong you would expect the fall into the water would be deeper than 2 feet. There were other people showing up at the same hospital for the same exact reason. Hope they make changes on their other courses quick to avoid more severe injuries for other racers, 6 weeks out of work in a cast isn't worth it
Rugged Maniac Temecula: How Hot is Hot?
On June 18, 2016 thousands gathered at Galway Downs in Temecula California for Rugged Maniac SoCal I. Early forecasts had predicted amiable weather, pleasant weather, survivable weather, but things change.
As I have now graduated from absolute beginning to stuttering novice I have learned one key nugget of truth: Run early.
Certainly this comes across as a no-brainer for anyone that has lived in Southern California, specifically the Inland Empire for more than a month or two and for someone that has called So Cal home for 45 plus years should know. Just inherently know that if one must run, one must run early in the day.
I am a slow learner. Obviously.
During the chilly month of March I signed up for Rugged Maniac – So Cal I and opted in at a discount price of $54 bucks, American. After all running earlier requires a larger payment. Good business sense. However, being “thrifty” with my American money I opted in at 130 pm.
We arrived at 1200 per instructions to arrive early and checked in quickly, efficiently, and with minimal challenge. This is critical to note as previous reviews suggested check in to be a challenge at this event. Not at all.
Temperature was a modest 98 degrees.
After wandering around a decent festival area where I had the honor of the meeting the Original Warrior Pak ladies (and purchased an excellent pair of gloves) I prepped. Click link to the Original Warrior Pak website
At 12:10 I wander down to the starter corral. Similar set-up to all the others, hop the gate, get ready, prep talk, and off. The spectator area is elevated and my wife got to watch me. The set-up at Galway Downs is perfect for spectators.
The course itself is flat and dry, with minimal elevation change, if one calls running through gullies and washes a change in elevation.
The obstacles are a mix of typical and new. Run through water, crawl through mud, climb over barriers, hop over 8-foot walls, and what not. Relatively easy but the first half of the course held all the running. The distance between obstacles, in the heat and dust, became its own obstacle.
A few personal highlights were the Ringer, which I nearly made across, thanks in part to the Warrior Pak gloves and other obstacles, including: the Lilly Pad; the blobstacle (LOL), Antigravity, Bang the Gong, and the Warped Wall. In reality the Warped Wall did not prove to be a “highlight” insomuch that I made it up and over and hoorah, hoorah, hoorah. Rather, I never had the opportunity to slam into a wall on two attempts, rip the hell out of my knees and ankles, and look utterly ridiculous with each attempt.
Overall I consider Rugged Maniac top-tier along with Spartan, BattleFrog, and Tough Mudder. A bunch of other runners called it “easy” or “less challenging,” but I find each step to have its own challenge.
There were a large number of groups that ran together, which I find outstanding and annoying. Some of the obstacles stack up with groups but it’s all fun until someone cracks a rib (happened) or passes out from heat stroke (happened as well).
Ultimately I found this to be an outstanding race, one that challenged my stuttering beginner status. I was humbled down a notch and that only helps after a little more reflection. This is a fun race and a serious race, Rugged Maniac does a great job mixing it up. The medal is shiny, heavy, and a nice add to the set; the tee-shirt is pretty plain but I wear it with pride.
At the end the skies filled with clouds, my wife found a spot under the trees, and a nice breeze kicked in that cooled us down to 95 or so degrees.
I will return in November for So Cal II. By then I will have another seven or eight races under my belt. Maybe I will do better. Fortunately it should be cooler….Should. It is Temecula, the Inland Empire in Southern California. You never can tell the weather.
Rugged Manic Chicopee
This was my first run. I hurt my knee the first obstacle EMS was called after 20 minutes of waiting they never showed.
It was definitely too hot to only have 2 water stations - they would only give you one cup because they were short on water.
After pushing through the pain and getting my 2nd wind the race was great everybody was helpful to other racers.
Some obstacles were pretty scary as if you were as short as I am and were unable to reach a ledge you'd fall directly on to concrete. As well I don't know what they used to mix some part of the mud but it was absolutely HORRID smelling.
Plenty of food trucks, DJ was great so was the MC, volunteers and staff were super friendly. Can't wait to do another one.
Rugged maniac 2016 Nor Cal
AWESOME FUN! But...this year the rings were right after crawling though the mud....the rings were muddy...our hands were muddy and it WAS NOT easy. Took me 7x to cross- I made it on the first try last year....but in order to place you must complete each obstacle. I wasted 10 minutes until I finally crossed. Hoping the rings are before the mud crawl next year!!
Absolutely awesome! I love this run. People coming together, cheering on & helping each other - stuff you don't see in everyday life! Kids & adults do this run. Would definitely recommend this. I plan on doing this again!!
This was my first adventure race and it was a blast! The hills were a bit much but no complaints. Great race!
This was my first run and it was an amazing time. It was a lot of fun and pushed me to the limit. I successfully finished even though it had taken longer than I originally hoped but since this race I am hooked on them.
Had a blast!!! Well organized! Lots of obstacles and no waiting at each obstacle like other mud runs. Perfect amount of challenge. Cannot wait to do it again!!!!!!