Rugged Maniac obstacle races, mud run, and OCR information, distance, cost, dates, calendar, discounts, obstacles, reviews, and more
|Overview||“An Epic Day of Rugged Glory”, Nationwide locations|
|Upcoming||See all upcoming events at the bottom of the page.|
|Terrain||“Rugged Gauntlet of Glory” – You’ll figure it out!|
Looking for adventure? How about a day filled with 25 epic obstacles, a crazy party, and plenty of beer? Rugged Maniac Obstacle Race has you covered! Here's how it works: Sign up for the race and you'll run our 3-mile course where you'll climb towers of shipping containers, rocket down a 50′ water slide, bounce on trampolines, jump over fire, and more!
Before and after your run, you'll get to party with thousands of other maniacs in our day-long festival where you can ride mechanical bulls, pretend to be a kid in our adult bounce houses, and dance your butt off in the festival and enjoy lots of new games and activities. As if that wasn't awesome enough, you also get a high-quality t-shirt, an awesome medal, free professional race photos, and a beer (if of legal drinking age) with your registration!
Unlike the other guys, we don't nickel and dime you with ‘insurance' and ‘processing' fees that add $30 or more to your registration cost. You'll pay the price listed on the event page plus any tax required by the man. That's it. So what are you waiting for? Reserve your preferred start
Upcoming Rugged Maniac EventsClick an event name to view the event details. Scroll past this, or click here to see the review section
- Race discount More info
- March 21, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSouth Carolina Rugged Maniac 2020
Boone Hall Plantation, Mt. Pleasant, SC, United States
- April 04, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePhoenix Arizona Rugged Maniac Spring 2020
Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, Chandler, AZ, United States
- April 11, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNorth Carolina Rugged Maniac Spring 2020
Rockingham Dragway, Rockingham, NC, United States
- April 18, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreFlorida Rugged Maniac 2020
Florida State Fairgrounds, Tampa, FL, United States
- April 25, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSan Francisco California Rugged Maniac 2020
Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton, CA, United States
- May 02, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVirginia Rugged Maniac 2020
Virginia Motorsports Park, Petersburg, VA, United States
- May 09, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreColumbus Ohio Rugged Maniac 2020
Delaware County Fairgrounds, Delaware, OH, United States
- May 16, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreLos Angeles California Rugged Maniac 2020
Castaic Lake State Recreation Area, Castaic, CA, United States
- May 23, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKentucky Rugged Maniac 2020
Kentucky Speedway, Sparta, KY, United States
- May 30, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKitchener Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Chicopee Ski Resort, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
- June 06, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePortland Oregon Rugged Maniac 2020
Portland International Raceway, Portland, OR, United States
- June 13, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreOklahoma City Rugged Maniac 2020
Remington Park, Oklahoma City, OK, United States
- June 20, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew York City Rugged Maniac 2020
Aviator Sports Complex, Brooklyn, NY, United States
- July 11, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVancouver Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Cloverdale Fairgrounds, Surrey, Canada
- July 18, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew Jersey Rugged Maniac 2020
Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, United States
- July 19, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew Jersey Rugged Maniac 2020
Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ, United States
- July 25, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreCalgary Canada Rugged Maniac 2020
Spruce Meadows, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- August 01, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePennsylvania Rugged Maniac 2020
Maple Grove Raceway, Mohnton, PA, United States
- August 08, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreDenver Colorado Rugged Maniac 2020
Thunder Valley Motocross, Lakewood, CO, United States
- August 15, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreAtlanta Georgia Rugged Maniac 2020
Georgia International Horse Park, Conyers, GA, United States
- August 22, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreChicago / Milwaukee Wisconsin Rugged Maniac 2020
Wilmot Mountain, Wilmot, WI, United States
- August 29, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSouthern Indiana Rugged Maniac 2020
Paoli Peaks, Paoli, IN, United States
- September 05, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreLong Island New York Rugged Maniac 2020
Long Island Sports Park, Calverton, NY, United States
- September 12, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreTwin Cities Minnesota Rugged Maniac 2020
Wild Mountain Ski Area, Taylor Falls, MN, United States
- September 19, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreKansas City Missouri Rugged Maniac 2020
Snow Creek Ski Area, Weston, MO, United States
- September 26, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew England Massachusetts Rugged Maniac 2020
Moto-X 338, Southwick, MA, United States
- September 27, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNew England Massachusetts Rugged Maniac 2020
Moto-X 338, Southwick, MA, United States
- October 10, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreVirginia Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Virginia Motorsports Park, Petersburg, VA, United States
- October 17, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSacramento California Rugged Maniac 2020
Murieta Equestrian Center, Rancho Murieta, CA, United States
- October 24, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreNorth Carolina Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Piedmont Dragway, Julian, NC, United States
- November 07, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MorePhoenix Arizona Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Camelback Ranch, Glendale, AZ, United States
- November 15, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreAustin Texas Rugged Maniac 2020
Travis County Expo Center, Austin, TX, United States
- November 21, 2020Save $5 on your Rugged Maniac with code MRG20 Learn MoreSoCal California Rugged Maniac Fall 2020
Temecula Galway Downs, Temecula, CA, United States
Browse our calendar of previous mud runs, mud races & obstacle races for Rugged Maniac
Rugged Maniac News & Featured Reviews
Rugged Maniac Reviews from the Community
(Scroll up to see a list of upcoming events for Rugged Maniac)
Very well run event. Fun and challenging for the novice! Great time with our gym group with mixed fitness levels!
They finally have medals!!!
DIFFICULTY = Beginner
PARKING = B
Parking was onsite and there was a $10 charge. You park close to the festival area in the grass.
FESTIVAL = B
They had a DJ, vendors, food, and merchandise. Probably the best festival area to date for Rugged Maniac.
BAG CHECK = C
Bag check was secure and there was a fee.
STARTING LINE = B
They had a DJ to hype you up (he was good), 2 arches, 2 obstacles, and you went under the cargo net which ended the race. Instead of starting in an open area near a starting line, this felt like you were entering a corral or alley. They did not have the clock from previous years.
COURSE LAYOUT = A
Rugged Maniac has a great course layout of dirt, grass, wood, mud, gravel, hills, and man-made water. Their course is 3.2 miles of back to back obstacles (and obstacles are the reason why most people do races).
OBSTACLES = B
Rugged Maniac has 25 obstacles which are almost back to back for the entire length of the course. They have the average obstacles that you see at a race (walls, A frames, over/unders, weight carry, cargo net, tunnels, fire jump, mud hills) and some new ones (a giant inflatable rectangle with a rope on the side called Blobstacle, monkey rings, fox holes). Missing from the last 2 years was my favorite obstacle, the mud pit jumps.
Best Obstacle = Blobstacle
Worst Obstacle = Cage Crawl
WATER STATIONS = B
They had 2 water stations in 3.2 miles. The spacing for the stations was good. Water only, no food.
FINISH LINE = C
They had a great final obstacle (quarter pipe into water slide), an arch, and a crowd. Missing was the timer.
SHOWERING/CHANGING = B
They had showers set up and a changing tent.
SWAG = B
Finally, Rugged Maniac offers medals! The medals are large square medals that are black and red with the Rugged Man on it. Of course, you also get a tshirt.
Rugged Maniac is still one of the best races. This year’s race didn’t have as many obstacles and wasn’t as muddy as previous years but it’s still an awesome race for the 3.2 miles of back to back obstacles and still is one of the muddiest races I have done. They finally stepped it up and started offering medals. Rugged Maniac is constantly improving. They change up their course, their obstacles, and their terrain so each year is almost like a new race. Even though this is an easy race, I still love doing it. It’s the best race for a beginner, too.
A Good, Well-Organized Event
This was my first Rugged Maniac and I had a really good time.
Let's take it category-by-category:
Price: Compared to some of the other mud runs/obstacle races it was a bargain (and even more of a bargain with the early registration price AND the discount code I found on this site). I also really like that there were not a bunch of other costs such as insurance or "processing fees" which add 20% or more to the total (as there are for most events put on by other companies).
Registration: Simple. The online registration had a couple less steps than the competitors. My time is valuable, I appreciate that.
Reliability: Unlike the locally scheduled Atlas Race (which was canceled about a month beforeheand--something which is increasingly more common for these types of events), this one went forward as planned.
Parking: Not bad. Only $8 charge (make sure to bring cash) and plenty of spaces that weren't miles away.
Check-In: Only had two people in front of me and we were all processed quickly. Couldn't have been in line more than five minutes and the staff was very friendly.
Festival Area: I would give this category 5 stars. It wasn't huge but it was fun and most of the activities were free. This was a HUGE bonus given that we had two kids that needed to be kept occupied (with a friend of ours) while my wife and I were out on the course. The contests were actually pretty fun to watch and the music was good.
Race Organization: Despite having nearly 5000 racers, the waves went out right on time and had just enough people to keep the course well populated but not cause traffic jams at the obstacles. We never waited longer than a few minutes for any obstacle and had no wait at all for several of them.
Race Course/Obstacles: Was it the most challenging course? No. Was it fun? Yes. Most were pretty easy--but not so easy to be boring--and there were a couple that were a bit of a challenge (including the sloped wall at the end) and most all of them were fun. It was also nice to see 26 of them in a race of this length. The course was also pretty flat so the running should be manageable for most anyone.
Post-Race Swag: The t-shirt was kind of thin and cheap but the finisher medal was actually quite nice. There was a bit of a "bait and switch" with respect to the free beer (was promised a "premium" brand beer and got a Bud) but after conquering 26 obstacles and running for 5K, "cold and free" is nice regardless of the brand.
Overall: A fun, relatively inexpensive event that caters to a broad range of participants. If you are a hard core OC racer and go in expecting to be challenged, you will probably be disappointed. However, if you go in with the perspective of wanting to have a lot of fun while getting some exercise, you shouldn't be disappointed at all. This would also be a perfect entry-level event for someone interested in OC racing.
Well done, Rugged Maniac!
RM is an AWESOME Race - and it continues to add more obstacles and challenges every year! I have done numerous RM races around the East Coast, and Southwick has been a family favorite. And the reason I give it only 4 stars is because there needs to be MORE MUD at the Southwick venue !!
Always the best!
Once again, this race proved to be the perfect combination of challenging and rewarding! Same easy process to check in at the race, minimal (if any!) back ups at the obstacles, very friendly staff/volunteers. The new obstacles were awesome!! Trampolines, warp wall, bag carry among others added a new level to this event. Cant wait to do it again next year!!
This race is fun, fun, fun! A great race for all ability levels. Want to avoid a bunch of super intense, skin-head dudes? Then this is the race. The vibe was great, everyone had fun, and, most importantly, there were so many obstacles and they were all amazing.
First Time, Great Time!
It was my first time doing this type of a race. I found it to be very well organized. There was a great group of "Maniacs" that turn out for this event. Obstacles were challenging and most had no wait. The course layout worked well. The festivities after were great! The only negative was the lack of water stations - there was only one! The way the course was laid out the one water station was located between two of the trails and could have provided water to both trails. I can't wait to do my next Rugged Maniac race!
I had a great time running this race. The obstacles were a lot of fun......a few too many walls to climb though!! Also, one water station throughout the race. This is HOTLANTA!!! NO photographer at obstacles...only the last two at the finish line. People, we love our photos!!! Also, and most important....the line for free beer was too LONG!! I didn't even get mine. You had 4 people giving out free beer at a table...yet there were 100 people in line! Could use improvement!! All in all a great time with some minor complaints!!! Thanks
Great, Good, and Bad
There are great pros and not so great cons... and some in between. The race was fun... Comparable to the Warrior Dash in difficulty, so challenging, but more fun than difficult.
Pros: I loved the course because it was not too hilly and was beautiful. Most of the obstacles were great... Not too many walls (I hate courses with 10 walls back to back), great mud slide, loved the teeter totter obstacles, trampoline jumps were fun, and wall ladders were great.
In between: Some of the obstacles were lacking a little something... The leap of faith was barely a jump. More like a hop into a 4 foot pool. The slide at the end was very small in comparison to other similar races.
The cons... WATER! Come on! One water station in 90+ degree heat? And the water was warm! We were all dying and we had even brought our camel backs that were filled with water. After we raced, we volunteered and had to go straight from running to volunteering in the heat with no water. I asked a paramedic for water when he came riding by and I am sad to report that he was a JERK! He acted snotty and said "I only have my own water" and then a few minutes later he miraculously found some and gave it to my niece. When I asked her where she got it, he heard me and said "I gave one of MY OWN." Ummm... Ok douche. You are riding around in a shaded golf cart while we are standing in the hot sun for hours and then pulling up tape in the hot sun after that.
Long story short... Worst volunteer experience yet. We are usually provided with a food voucher and water. We could have volunteered for much longer had we been provided with just a little fuel and a lot of water.
A suggestion for the future... Some races allow volunteers to register for a specific category of volunteering positions.
Great race, some really fun unique obstacles. Could use 1 more water station was 90 degrees, and no medal wtf? I need my medal!!